Monday, May 23, 2016

Buldak Bokkeum Myeon : The Spicy Korean Noodles Craze

I've watched with interest as people dare themselves to eat the Buldak Bokkeum Myeon, known as The Fire Noodles, manufactured by Samyang Food. It's purportedly the spiciest instant noodles available in the market now. On popular mukbang programmes on YouTube, the various hosts are seen to eat the noodles with gusto! They made it look so delicious! On YouTube are also many netizens taking on the Buldak Bokkeum Myeon challenge, it was fun watching their reaction to the super spicy noodles.

And so, I've been curious to try it. I bought mine at Ta Kiong Supermarket. It was on a special that weekend - 5 packets for RM19.98. That made if RM4.00 per packet - more expensive than a regular bowl of kolomee! 


The noodles were thick, and came with 2 sachets; one was the sauce, the other contained some seaweed flakes and sesame seeds.


The first time I cooked the noodles, they ended up too soggy. This time around, I was determined to ensure that they were not overcooked. 

I boiled them in a sauce pan over high fire, threw away the water and squished the entire sachet of red sauce into my pan. Then, I mixed the noodles well before dishing them out. Before I started eating, I made sure I had a glass of cold fresh juice on hand.

Slurps ...

Was the level of spiciness exaggerated? Well, the noodles WAS truly spicy. I do have a high tolerance for spicy food. But still, I found it to be extremely spicy. It took me a while to finish my plate of noodles. Along the way, my lips became swollen and nose became runny. Lol.

On another note, the noodles were not as springy as I liked them to be, and the seasoning was on the sweet side - my favourite texture and flavour for instant noodles is in fact Myojo's Ramen Char Mee 100.

To conclude, the noodles were spicy, but still edible. Next round, I'll eat it with a slice of cheese. I wonder if that will enhance the taste or the experience of eating the Buldak Bokkeum Myeon. 😀



4 comments:

  1. haha...am not a fan of Korean ramyeon, but I do like spicy noodles once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe .... I'm eating this for novelty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will take on the challenge too, provided it is available in Miri.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...