Thursday, May 4, 2017

Post Mortem of a Failed Bake

Look at these ... 

Baked Cheese Tart they were, but with the texture all wrong. 

Well, I did not use my friend ME's recipe. I used another that I sourced online. I made the custard using the bain marie method. The custard seemed so runny - and come to think of it, I really had no idea what consistency they should be in? Should they be watery or creamy or .... how? 

I contemplated throwing them away since they looked like a bowl of cheese soup! In the end, I decided to cool it in the fridge. It did set as it chilled, and I piped the chilled cheese mixture into the tart cases then baked them at 235 degrees for 10 minutes .... 

Then perhaps because I did not know whether they were cooked or not, I did not take them out from the oven till another 5 minutes later and this could probably be the result of overbaking. 

The tarts were still edible - they tasted nice; the crust was crisp and crunchy, only that the texture of the cheese custard wasn't right. It's still a BIG FAILURE on the first try.

What to do with so many tarts? Sigh ... I gave some away to my colleagues and they happily helped me eat them. 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...