Monday, June 26, 2017

Noodle Delight Cafe 斗湖生肉面鱼面

S recommended this shop to me and W. She kept saying that the noodles were good. Last Wednesday, we finally went there after work ....

Noodle Delight Cafe 斗湖生肉面鱼面 was located at Premier 101, facing the back - I think it was the same row as Hua Hee Corner. From its name, I would assume that it served Sabah-style noodles.斗湖 was the Chinese name for Tawau.

At about 1.00 p.m., there weren't many customers ... a young girl came to take our orders. While waiting for us to decide, her boss came to recommend us their in-house specialty. He told me that a lot of ladies liked their Tomato noodles with fresh fish - my friend S DID tell me that it was yummy - as tomatoes were not only appetising, but was good for the skin. It wasn't the Kuching-style tomato noodles - these used crushed tomatoes as their broth ....

I told him that I would try that another time as I really wanted to try the Sheng Rou Mian or Sang Nyuk Mian or 生肉面. There really weren't any nice Sheng Rou Mian around in Kuching ... so I had high hopes for this one. There were 2 sizes, regular RM7.00 and large, RM9.00. I could also choose the type of noodles I wanted. I wasn't sure about the "Yellow Noodles" stated in the menu - I was afraid that it would be the type of yellow egg noodles used for cooking Mee Jawa or Mee Mamak, because I would not like those in my Sheng Rou Mian. Boss assured me that it was not. They were using homemade Bai Mian 白面, he said. So I settled for an RM7.00 bowl of Sheng Rou Mian with homemade noodles ..... 

W perused the menu for quite long, and then he decided to have the fish fillet and salted vegetable soup with Bai Mian . S chose to try the BBQ Pork Noodle, which her kids loved.

Boss then suggested that we tried his coffee which he said was "different" from other shops' ...

Coffee, RM1.50 and homeboiled Chrysanthemum tea, RM3.00
W did not think the coffee was that great while I found the Chrysanthemum tea to be a bit too sweet

The food was served quite quickly ....  

Sheng Rou Mian
Thick noodles, coated with dark soy - noodles tasted a little sweet, and bursting with flavour of lard; very aromatic and addictive; may be too porky in flavour for some. Heh.

The soup
Generous slivers in pork, 2 slices of liver, pork balls, vegetables and topped with pork rind; soup was sweet and hearty, and again, exploded with the flavour of lard; the noodle and soup set cost RM7.00; if one only ordered the soup, it was RM5.00

 Fish fillet, salted vegetables and tomatoes , RM12.00
Very good broth, very fresh fish, very BIG bowl

BBQ Pork Noodles, RM5.00
I loved the pork - smoky, sweet, and thickly cut ..... the noodles were kolo mee flavoured with lard ,,. heh .... 

Heh. I liked the Sheng Rou Mian. I tried the fish fillet and the soup and I liked it too. I liked the BBQ pork and its noodles. I even liked the spicy and tangy ground chilli that was served together with the noodles. It's just that the noodle dishes here should be only indulged in once in a while - the lard and pork rind was very overpowering indeed! Too much of it would turn you off, really!

I'd come back though - I wanted to try the Tomato Noodles and the Pork Porridge ..... :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...