Thursday, June 29, 2017

Serapi Virgin Coconut Shake

Day 4 of Raya. Went visiting to my colleagues' houses today .... visited N who sits behind me in the staff room, a great teacher she is and I really do look up to her. We also went to R's house who's just nearby. And since they all live near the Matang area .... we decided to drive a little bit further afterwards to drink the famous coconut shake.

Happy orange-coloured theme at this shop just by the roadside at Jalan Kampung Telaga Air; It claims to serve the best coconut shake in town. 

We were there at about 1.40 p.m., but the shop hadn't opened yet. We weren't sure if it would be opened, since it was Raya after all. The counter was covered with plank so we couldn't peek inside the shop. He could hear music and some sounds coming from inside, though. 

So we walked over to a fruit stall nearby .... selling local fruits like custard apple, soursop, nangka .... I bought a bag of nangka for RM5.00. My friends thought it was too expensive because according to them, I could get a bag like that for RM3.00 in town. Heh. I really was not aware of the market price .... 

Anyway, while buying fruits, the fruit stall lady told us that the coconut shake shop would be open in 30 minutes. No coconuts, she said, telling us the reason for the delay. We decided to sit down and wait. Time passed quickly when we chit-chatted - made plans for a possible trip to Tanjung Datu in the coming months .....

And soon, the shop opened and we ordered our coconut shake. It cost RM4.00. One could add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream to the shake for RM4.50. Besides coconut shake, there was also mango shake available. 

I think there was only 1 person manning the shop ... and so we had to wait quite. Besides that, the shop was slowly filled up with customers. Not surprising on a hot day like this! 

Serapi Virgin Coconut Shake 
Pure white in colour. Like a virgin. Heh. 

Ok, so I was wondering why is the shop called Serapi Virgin Coconut Shake. Was it because of the colour of the shake itself which was white? Or does virgin coconut refer to young coconut? Or is there a legend or a story involving a virgin at Gunung Serapi - you know, like the Puteri Santubong story? 

So anyway, I poked my straw through the plastic cap and took my first sip. It was very cold, and that made it refreshing especially on a hot day like this. It was also thick, rich and creamy, sweet and coconut-y. Like drinking a sweetened cup of santan. It got a bit cloying when I drank halfway and by the time I finished, I was full to the max. Not bad to indulge in once in a while, though. 

I was wondering how the shake was concocted ... and tried to look into the kitchen to see what kind of blender they were using ..... but really, I couldn't see anything at all. But a search online suggested that young coconut juice and its flesh were blended together with vanilla ice-cream and ice. I guess it made sense.

Best shake in town? Would I drive all the way to get a cup of coconut shake? I wouldn't. But if I were in the vicinity, then yeah, why not? 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...