Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dinner @ Shanghai Seafood Restaurant

A few nights ago, the girls went out for dinner at Shanghai Seafood Restaurant. Not really knowing what to order, the girls settled for these :

Shanghai Tofu

A four-vegetable platter

Preserved Radish Omelette

Sweet and Sour Garoupa

Seafood Thick Soup

Well, let's see. The tofu was nice. The tofu seemed to be mashed and then mixed with some sort of finely chopped vegetables, then deep-fried till it's crisp and golden brown on the outside and soft in the inside. It was served with sweet, sour and spicy dip. The sauce complimented the tofu nicely.

Sweet, sour, and spicy dip for tofu

The vegetables platter came with four types of vegetables. First, the oyster mushrooms were cut into bite-sized pieces and then deep-fried. The batter coating the mushroom was rather light too, which was nice. Then, there's the cangkuk manis stir fried with egg. Third is the deep-fried kailan. I couldn't really make out the taste of this particular veg - it was dry, light, slightly smoky, bland. Hmn, it didn't really stand out. Finally, the vegetable that we all loved was the kerabu midin. The crunchy midin was seasoned with a sweet and tangy sauce, shallots and chillies. Yum.

The radish omelette was well, radish omelette. ;)

The fish was fresh, and deep-fried to a crispy perfection. But I don't really like the gravy, as I thought it was a tad too sweet. Plus, the ketchup tasted artificial to me. I'd also love to have more diced cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and pineapples in my sweet and sour gravy.

And finally, the soup was not great either. There weren't much ingredients in it, and it was a bit too starchy for my liking. I've had better seafood thick soups elsewhere in coffee shops around Miri.

Well, the meal cost us RM119. Cheap? Expensive? Reasonable? I really do not know. But the girls enjoyed yakking over the meal. ;)

Till our next makan, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...