Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Paper Boats In Class

I had fun in class today, as the students and I discussed a festival. I had only 40 minutes, but the lesson was rather fulfilling.

My 14-year-old kids and I looked into the Thai festival of Loy Krathong, where the highlight of the event is to float palm-sized rafts on waterways. The tiny rafts carry away misfortunes, and bring one's wishes to the Goddess of Water.

Traditionally, the tiny rafts are made of banana tree trunk, but nowadays, bread is often use as it is more environmentally friendly.

After the discussion, I got the students to write their wishes in a piece of A4 coloured paper. "Blue, teacher!" a boy piped. "Give me yellow!" another boy said. Most of the girls wanted pink. Lol. I love an excited class.

Writing his wishes earnestly ...

We then folded the paper into paper boats.

Showing the students how to fold a paper boat ...

The boys were all on task ....

Working together to complete the task ...

Ta-da!! Everyone's wish boats ...

It's too bad that they couldn't float their boats as there's no waterways at school. I couldn't possibly ask them to clog the drain. Lol. Hence, they decided that they wanted to decorate their classroom with those paper boats.

Anyway, I love it when everyone is engaged in class. It makes teaching seem worthwhile. Because the kids are researching into a Thai festival, their next project is to cook Thai food. I certainly look forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...