Wednesday, October 30, 2013

KFC

"Wanna eat KFC?" I asked.

"Let's go," Mom said.

Eh. How come, I thought. Mom would normally resist whenever I suggested eating out.

We both walked to the counter ...and Mom suggested I buy the Snack Plate, pointing to the menu board. 25% discount on Tuesday, it said.

"It's not available everyday, only on Tuesday....," I said.

"Today's Tuesday," said Mom.

Eh. She was right. I was the one who was blur, apparently. Lol.

"How come you know there's discount?" I surely did not know.

Mom saw the advertisement in the newspaper. It was not the first time she'd bought the Snack Plate on discount, I found out later.

Ahhh .. that explained it.

Snack Plate, Hot & Spicy chicken

We ordered 2 sets of Snack Plate. Each set consisted of 2 pieces of chicken, a bread roll, a coleslaw and a mash potato. One could have the Original Recipe fried chicken or the Hot and Spicy Chicken. I had one set of each.

Of the two, I found that the Hot & Spicy Chicken looked more presentable, and tasted better too. At that time, the Original Recipe Chicken looked somewhat soggy .... when it looked like that, of course, it affected my perception of its quality ....

* * *

I don't usually visit KFC, because I have had rather poor experiences with the quality of food served at a particular outlet in Miri, and also dealing with the staff at that same outlet left me feeling stupid. Those experiences really put me off for a long, long time. I was not inclined to visit the restaurant at all.

Two months back however, in KL, I went to a KFC outlet to take away some food for the family. It was dinner time, and it was really crowded inside the restaurant. Despite the crowd and the queues, the service was really efficient. I was served my food in about 10 minutes. I also enjoyed very much the food which I ordered - the rice made a very lasting impression, with its very pleasant lemon-y flavour. The chicken - both Original Recipe and Hot & Spicy - was nicely done as well.

Since KL, I had wanted to try the KFC outlets back home in Sarawak .....

* * *

This particular outlet which I had eaten the Snack Plate with Mom the other day .... hmn .... I thought the outlet looked old and dull. There weren't a single bottle of chilli sauce on the tables ..... we had to go ask for one from the counter. Were they out of stock? Or were they afraid that people would steal their bottles of chilli sauce? But most of all, I think they could improve the quality of the Original Recipe chicken ..... the crust had softened ... and hung loosely off the meat. Eeew. Not really finger-lickin' good, I'd say. :P

According to the KFC Malaysia website :
KFC is the largest fast-food chain in Malaysia and Brunei, serving world famous Original Recipe fried chicken which contains secret blend of 11 herbs and spices. Apart from serving finger-licking good food, we continuously aim for high quality and are committed to ensure food safety by stringent control to maintain our standards.

I'd say that they had better go to the field to ensure that quality and standards are consistent throughout the country! 

3 comments:

  1. My wife gets a craving for KFC and every now and again succumbs. It's okay but leaves me with a craving thirst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which KFC branch is this? I had bad experiences with KFC in Miri too... KFC in KK was alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well .... i used to love kfc back when I was still in college; we would go almost every weekend to the mall and treat ourselves to a meal. these days .... well .... let me just put it this way : there are many fast food joints selling fried chicken besides kfc

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...