Thursday, October 24, 2013

My Favourite Popiah

This is my favourite popiah in Kuching.

It is from Kim Hock Lim at Stampin. Again, this is the popiah I grew up eating. Kim Hock Lim is perhaps Kuching's earliest cafeteria ... and in my memory, it used to operate at the shop opposite Swinburne University, behind Borneo Medical Centre today. After that, it moved to Stampin.

Its popiah is not only my favourite, but it's a favourite among my relatives too. Aunt A, when she comes back from Singapore, eats this popiah every morning for breakfast.

 The popiah

The filling

I went quite late ... at about 11.00 a.m. Mom insisted that there was no more left for that day.

Go and see, I said.

And there was one piece left! Yayy! I quickly bought it. Only RM2.00. It was meant for me. Lol.

Why do I like this popiah so much?

Well, first up, the popiah is wrapped snugly with filling resulting in a neat roll of reasonable size. And then, I feel that the ingredients in the filling do not overpower each other. I could distinctly taste the jicama, the egg and the tofu. The taste of the ingredients, and sweet and savoury flavours of the sauces are really well-balanced. This is punctured by the distinct and fragrant aroma of white pepper. I also enjoy the textures  - the crunchy jicama and french beans, and the soft omelette and tofu, and the chewy pastry. You can see that the ingredients are hand-shredded.

Highly recommended. Do try the next time in Kuching. Its sandwich is also nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...