Thursday, October 10, 2013

Wat Dan Hor @ 99 Cafe

My friend said she wanted to cook dinner .... then promptly changed her mind. She coaxed me to go out dinner with her. She wanted to have something soupy for dinner.

Well, fine. I did not mind accompanying her. It meant that I too, did not have to trouble myself cooking. :P

We headed to 99 Cafe at the Boulevard Commercial Centre. I haven't been here for a long time. And I still do not know what to eat every time I come. It seems to me the food here is just mediocre ... there's no must-eats as such.

So then, the question is, why do everyone come here? Hmn ..... well, other people may like the food here. Some may like the large array of food available, while some people may like the atmosphere.

Anyway, we walked around to survey what we wanted to eat. My friend was tempted by the curry rice .... but decided to leave that for another day. She ordered a rice vermicelli noodle soup with wantons from a stall at the far end

But when her order arrived, it was egg noodle soup with wantons instead. My friend was sure that she had ordered rice vermicelli, but the vendor refused to give way, insisting that my friend had ordered wrongly. Since they were both uncertain who was in the wrong, my friend accepted the bowl of egg noodle soup and paid for it. Though the noodle soup tasted alright, my friend did not enjoy her meal after her little incident with the vendor. 

I ordered a plate of Stir-fried Kueh Tiaw in Egg Sauce. 滑蛋河.

RM4.00 per plate

Hmn ... it looked alright. Upon the first taste, I found the sauce to be a bit bland. The noodles had the wok's breath or smoky flavour, and there was a reasonable amount of ingredients in the dish. I saw some sliced pork, a cuttlefish ring, a single prawn, and some greens. I requested for fresh chilies in soy sauce to eat with my noodles. The chillies definitely made it tastier. 

My friend then ordered a glass of iced tea .... but it never came. Business is good here ..... so service and quality of food is compromised sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. I am a spoilt brat. My parents always put my dinner in a tiffin carrier and send it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the wok's breath" - what an evocative description; I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sintaicharles : ooh, i'm envious of you.

    philip : i'm glad you know. It's just to describe that distinctive smoky flavour so necessary in a plate of stir-fried noodles. :)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...