Monday, November 11, 2013

Chicken Rice @ Chen Kee

Passion Corner has either closed or moved. And in its place is Chen Kee Hai Nam Chicken Rice. The old shop is at Krokop 10. It faces the road, and is adjacent to the Krokop 10 Wet Market. Now, they have opened a branch at Jalan Permaisuri. The place is air-conditioned and it was a full house at lunch time!

Looking at the menu, there were set meals. A normal set of chicken rice with a glass of tea was RM5.80.

Iced chrysanthemum tea
I quite liked the refreshing tea, which was just slightly sweet. My friend said it was too diluted, though. 

One could choose their favourite cuts of chicken for an extra cost. I opted for a whole drumstick with my rice set for RM9.00.

My rice set, RM9.00

The chicken
I think it was not drumstick they meant, but a whole thigh. The meat was smooth and tender, but not as sweet as I would like it to be. The clear gravy on the chicken platter consisted of light soy, sesame oil and chicken broth ... and I liked that. Slices of cucumber lined the platter. The rice was rather fluffy and fragrant. My only complain was the food was cold .... or lukewarm. Hmn .... so it was not as satisfying as it should have been. 

Spare ribs in lotus root and peanut soup, RM5.00
(Mind the pic, only half a bowl left .... with the ingredients hidden in the soup)
I loved the hot, hot soup which warmed my stomach. It tasted mild, but it reminded me of home! 

 Blanched Mustard Greens, RM5.00
The vegetables were green, crunchy ... and it was a large plate. But it was not the sweet mustard .... so ... not my favourite. 

There were also desserts in the menu ..... but was unavailable at the time I was there. Well, I have friends who are Chen Kee's loyal customers at Krokop. Now, they are glad to have another place to tuck in their favourite chicken rice right at the centre of town!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...