Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Late

I was late. I was not supposed to be so late. But I had to attend a talk. It was given by some lady from the offices. It would have been great had she been straight to the point, and made everything short and sweet. Instead, she was really a NAG! Because of this person - who was really long-winded, who elaborates at length, who needs to justify every statement she says, and yet is sarcastic, who turns me off with jokes that are NOT funny - I was late. There was no time to waste ... and I had to cook my dinner in 30 minutes. I was sure I could be in time.

To eat with my porridge, I had planned to stirfry a vegetable ... and then I had wanted to have a chicken and pickled lettuce stirfry with lots of white rice wine. It was a cold and gloomy day, and I just thought the ginger and wine would warm me up!

And so when I got home, I washed the vegetables ..... and then chopped up some garlic, chillies, dried prawns and ginger ..... lucky that I had already gotten the chicken marinated and the porridge cooked early that morning.

It was just to heat up the wok and to stir-fry the vegetables in garlic, chillies and dried prawns for a few minutes before I added some salt for seasoning. Then it was ready to eat. Then in another pan, I stir-sauteed the ginger and garlic .... and then dumped into it the chicken and pickled lettuce to stirfry ... and then added some water and light soy sauce and sugar .... and lots of white rice wine. Because my pan was rather shallow, I got the whole thing en flambe. So exciting .... and I bet it enhanced the flavour of the whole dish. Well .... no recipe and no measurement. I simple estimated the amount of seasoning I put into the pan.

Stirfry Baby Romaine
Crispy and crunchy, and lightly flavoured, I could taste the sweetness of the vegetables. Perfect with hot porridge. 

Stir-fry Chicken with Pickled Lettuce.
Yummy. I loved the intoxicating and distinctive flavour of the white rice wine ... the tender slivers of chicken breast .... the crunchy and salty pickled lettuce, and the spiciness of the ginger. Try this. I loved this dish from time to time. 

Dinner is served. :))
Mind the dark colouring here ..... bad photography. Maybe I was too hungry. Hadn't eaten all day! No wonder I was finding everything wrong with the talk!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...