Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Chellam Curry House

It was with a heavy heart that I went to Sibu.

I had been called for training at the last minute, and I WAS NOT happy, because it was during school holidays. Now, I WAS WORKING assiduously for the past 10 months and HAD NOT been called for any form of training. Now that I was on holiday, I was ASKED to go on course. Darn. Of course, I had the right to be upset. Most people would.

The organisers - officers from the state education department - had pleaded with us to understand their plight. They had of course wanted to hold the course since the beginning of the year, but apparently, the Ministry HAD NOT approved the course till the very last minute. Tsk, tsk, tsk ..... I'd shake my head and ask why they bothered to approve in the first place as it had done nothing but cause inconvenience to many people.

Because of the last minute call, the personnel who were supposed to attend COULD NOT attend as they had made holiday plans. Because of it being held during the school holidays, many HAD NOT the slightest motivation. The poor organisers were downright scolded left, right and centre by parties involved.

Me? I pulled a long face ..... and criticized everything and everyone along the way.

But no matter what I said or did, I had to attend. Sigh. "Count your blessings," my friend An told me ..... Yeah, right!!

***

My flight was at 9.00 a.m. that morning. I went to the airport to check-in at 7.30 a.m.; I could not check in on my mobile, somehow ... and I did not have a printer to print out my boarding pass if I were to check-in online. So, I had no choice but to get to the airport earlier to do it ....

Check-in was a breeze, and thereafter, AT and I went to have breakfast at Chellam Curry House. This is a new establishment, located at the shophouses across the road from the Miri airport.

AT's teh tarik and my plain unsweetened tea

For breakfast, there was not much of choice. Perhaps that was why they weren't many people eating there, for there was only roti or bread. Many types of paratha and thosai were on the menu. AT had the egg paratha, which was served with a curry and kurma gravy.

Egg paratha, RM2.50

We also decided to order an egg kottu paratha. It was a chopped up paratha, mixed with egg, bombay onions, and curry leaves. It was a huge, huge portion! The kottu paratha was served with curry and dhal.

Egg kottu paratha, RM6.00

Both AT and I preferred the simple egg paratha, rather than the chopped up one.

Well, I did want to return to try the briyani rice during lunch time. Next time, I suppose .... for I had to drag my feet to Sibu. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...