Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shredded Vegetarian Lean Meat

Many domestic helpers are addressed as "Kakak", meaning "sister" in Malay. So is my friend, W**'s housekeeper, whom we fondly call Kakak.

Kakak is a good cook, and has cooked for us time and again. Today for dinner, Kakak made this vegetarian dish, which I found to be really yum.

Shredded Vegetarian Lean Meat
Don't be deceived by its look!!

The mock shredded meat was chewy, and totally infused with the taste of ginger and soy sauce. Really yum to eat with plain rice.

And so, I cornered Kakak and interviewed her about this unique dish that I had eaten for the very first time.

Frozen vegetarian lean meat can be purchased from the supermarkets. Kakak then thawed the mock meat and shredded them by hand. It was a tedious task, and Kakak said the shredding made her sleepy. Lol. I can only imagine the amount of time it took to shred the mock meat so finely.

When it was time to cook, Kakak first saute finely shredded ginger in heated oil. About half a bowl of ginger was sauted till fragrant, and then added with the mock meat. The mixture is stir-fried over low fire. Kakak did not specify how much time it took to cook, but she said "quite a long time". Lol. After stir-frying for for some time, Kakak would add the final ingredient, and that is the dark soy sauce. Mix well, and dish out.

Well, it sounded easy enough, and I am thinking of replicating Kakak's recipe. It'll be good to cook it for Grandma, especially on the days when she eats vegetarian. Lol. If I ever get a chance to cook this dish, I'll be sure to blog it. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...