Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lunches at the School Canteen

Because I worked till 5.00 p.m. for the past 2 days, I had lunch at my school canteen. I am thankful that this year, the canteen cooks food that is edible. Being in the school system for so long, I've had my share of nightmare canteens. I have even boycotted canteens before this - for taking advantage of the teachers and overcharging, and for selling stale food.

My canteen cooks at least a meat dish, and at least 2 types of vegetables a day. Yesterday's menu was chicken curry, stir-fried paku in belacan, and cangkuk manis and pumpkin lemak.

 Chicken curry

Today, the canteen served a fish in turmeric sauce, stir-fried spinach, and ulam with sambal.

Today's lunch

You see, teachers and students need to eat. We are in school for long hours, and because we cannot go out of the school compound, our only source of food is from the canteen. If the canteen operates well, we, teachers and students are happy. Because there is nothing more frustrating than to have money to spare, but with nothing to buy. I have lots of money. But there is nothing decent to eat at the canteen. How irritating it is.

So, anyone interested in bidding for next year's canteen tender?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...