Monday, June 15, 2009

Prawn Omelette (蝦仁煎)

One popular Chinese dish is oyster omelette (蚵仔煎), which is easily available at any Chinese eateries.

In my household, we often eat prawn omelette (蝦仁煎) instead of oyster omelette. In Teochew, we call it hay luak (蝦煎). My late maternal grandmother used to babysit me when I was a child, and I vaguely remember her making prawn omelette for me. Now, mom cooks it for us. Both my brother and I love it.

For the batter, Mom mixes tapioca flour with water. Then she cooks the batter in a non-stick pan with prawns, spring onions, and beaten eggs. The ingredients give off a fragrant aroma as they cook.

Prawns, eggs and spring onions in the pan

Once one side of the omelette is cooked, Mom flips it over to cook the other side. Mom dishes out the omelette when it turns golden brown in colour.

Prawn omelette

The omelette is fragrant, starchy and gooey, but the edges are crispy, and the prawns are sweet.

A close-up shot

Prawn omelette is dipped in fish sauce with a dash of pepper before eating.

Fish sauce and a dash of pepper

I don't think prawn omelette is sold anywhere here in Kuching, or even in Miri. At least I haven't come across before.

1 comment:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...