Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Article Published! Yayy!

2 months ago, my principal approached me, and broached the idea of writing a paper for a little project that I'm doing with my students. Write papers? Hmn, I had not written anything academic for a long time. Long gone were the days where I sat for hours typing my assignments and working on my thesis.

I sat on the idea for some time before he gave me another nudge, and assuring me that he would help me. My principal himself is a very keen action researcher cum writer, and has contributed a steady stream of articles for local academic journals.

Well, with an experienced person to guide me, I'd have to be crazy to pass up the opportunity to learn. My principal sat down with me and discussed with me the outline of the paper. He provided me some reading materials. And he read my drafts and provided me suggestions. I sent it off to the editor, and it came back with more comments. My principal again took the time to go through the paper and advised me how I could amend the paper.

When I sent off the final draft, I received a note of thanks and a disclaimer that said that only selected articles would be published. I thought it was a little disheartening, and I did prepare myself for the eventuality should my article did not get published.

Yesterday evening, I received text messages from 2 Principals - one my own principal, the other a family friend - congratulating me on the publication of my article in Bicara Pendidik 2009. I'm really very happy.

I haven't seen the journal yet. I don't even know whether I will get a personal copy. But I do feel a deep sense of achievement. I couldn't have done it without my principal's guidance and advice, and I really want to say a big THANK YOU to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...