Friday, June 12, 2009

Sin Kwang Foochow Big Pau




Dad bought this Big Pau from Sin Kwang Foochow Big Pau at Jalan Padungan here in Kuching. Over the years, it has made quite a name for itself, where Big Paus are concerned.

The pau costs RM3.00 each. It measures 14 cm in diametres, and at its highest point, it has to be at least 5 cm tall. It's so big that I can't finish it on my own. I halved it and this is what it looks like.



The filling is a compact ball of minced meat, topped with a slice of hardboiled egg. There's some sort of veges in the filling that gives it a crunchy texture. I haven't the slightest idea what veges are in there, but in my mind, I'm thinking some kind of preserved vegetable.

Dad always buys the Big Paus on Thursdays. He says that's the day the vendors prepare their a fresh batch of filling to last them the whole week.

The pau skin or pastry is slightly sweet, and goes very well with the savoury filling. A winning combination that certainly satisfies your craving for a good pau.

3 comments:

  1. Is it? I tried once. Now, I must make sure I buy it on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try hock hai pork pau. (same roll with everise supermarket) padungan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried Hock Hai. In fact I grew up eating Hock Hai Big Pau. It's just that I feel that their pau now isn't as nice as before.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...