Thursday, January 16, 2014

Big Vegetable Bao

I was hovering at the section selling local cakes at Krokop 10 Market. I never knew what I wanted to buy as I browsed the various types of local cakes on the tables. It was because I had bought a few types over the years ... and yet I had never found them to be extraordinarily yummy.

At one corner, there was this stall selling steamed buns or baos. Well, I had never bought the baos here before. But that morning, it caught my attention that a few people were buying the Big Vegetable Bao or 大菜包. I was wondering why. Was it really delicious? Or was it mere coincidence. I was not tempted to buy somehow.

Till my friend H disclosed to me that she would buy half a dozen on the baos at one go. H also told me that the baos would sell out by 9.00 a.m. That got me excited to try them, in particular the Big Vegetable Bao.

However, I was working on weekdays and could not go to the market .... and as soon as Saturday arrived, I hurried to there, just to buy the baos.

Big Vegetable Bao, RM2.00
I had some shaomai from Kuching to accompany my bao.  The shaomais were brought all the way from Kuching by my friend R. So they were absolutely yum. But how about the bao

 Cross section of the bao ..

Well, let's start with the pastry. The pastry had a very fragrant aroma of good quality wheat flour. It smelled mouth-watering in fact. The pastry was also light, fluffy and spongy.  Quite pleasant to chew on. I just thought it was too thick at the top. I guess it had to be in order for it to expand to its size. No offense, but I did not like it. The filling was mostly shredded jicama .... a bit sweet and savoury in taste. Not too sure, but perhaps there was just a teeny bit of minced pork inside too. There was a wedge of hard-boiled egg in the centre.

This bao was rather alright, but not really to-die-for. It was not something I would go back to buy in the near future. Perhaps till when I have a craving for it. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...