Wednesday, January 29, 2014

CNY Bazaar

The other night, the weather was rather fine ...and we went to the CNY Bazaar. I was surprised to find that there were whole stretches of stalls! So many of them!

An array of things were sold, from food to clothes to toys to decorations to flowers to household items ... and vendors were on top of their voices, coaxing visitors to purchase their wares, and after a successful transaction, wishing them all things good for the coming CNY.

It was sure crowded as I navigated the pathway slowly and carefully, while my eyes were scanning for interesting things which I could buy. It ended up that I did not even spend a single cent.

 A beautiful pot of flowering orchid which attracted my attention 

The food scene, to me, was not so interesting .... most stalls were selling the same things, i.e. bao or steamed buns, and shaomai, and Taiwanese sausages, and fishballs and meatballs. Hmn .... there were at least 2 stalls selling takoyaki, and Taiwanese chicken chop. I did get interested to try the smelly tofu sold at a particular stall, but in the end, I decided not to wait for it. I had instead a bowl of meatballs and a stick of Taiwanese sausage. 

Later on we went to Leisure Cafe which was nearby (occupying a corner shoplot, at the next block of shop from Sin Liang Supermarket). We had wanted to eat laksa and porridge there .... but then, they were both sold out already at 9.30 p.m. The apologetic vendor urged us to order something else ...

 In the end, we ordered a Stir-fried Kueh Tiaw .... 

Stir-fried Kueh Tiaw

It was alright, tasting faintly of wok's breath, but a bit too salty. Later on, I found out that a former student was one of the cooks there ....

Leisure Cafe offers free wi-fi to customers, and it was quite a nice place to hang out at night! I would want to come back after CNY .....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...