Saturday, January 18, 2014

Keropok Amplang

For some reason I was starving the whole day. Lunch was just a portion scrambled eggs. Of course, I had wanted to eat more ... but there was not much of things to eat.

Scrambled eggs with string beans and carrots, and chilli sauce

Therefore, when I saw some fish crackers on the table, I squealed in delight. Yayy! Food!! So I opened the container and started popping the puffed up rounded balls into my mouth.

 Amplang

"Where from?" I asked my colleague. Eat first. Then ask. Lol.

"P bought it from Sabah," came the reply. P, my colleage went to Sabah one weekend.

"What are these called?" I asked again.

"Amplang," I was told. 

"What is this made of?" I asked.

"Don't know," my colleague said.

Well ... a search online revealed that Amplang was a popular snack in Tawau, Sabah. Its ingredients include Spanish mackerel, tapioca flour with spices. The dough is formed into little balls and then deep-fried. These ones I ate were flavoured I think .... tasted to me like cuttlefish, with sesame seeds giving them a nuttier flavour.

Munch ... munch ... munch .... we sat around and chatted ... and soon, no more Amplang left. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...