Friday, January 10, 2014

Cheap Fritters

It was after 3.00 p.m., and I was on my way home. I thought I would drop by the market near the Pujut bus terminal to buy some fresh vegetables. Unfortunately, there weren't much vegetables, it being the rainy season.

Instead, I bought some deep-fried fritters. At the side of the market is a row of stalls, selling local cakes. And at the centre is a Chinese vendor, selling deep-fried fritters.

The vendor was really nice ... apologising for making me wait while he saw to the large purchases of a customer.

He even cared to joke.

"All for RM1.00?" I enquired.

"Not all of them for RM1.00, I'd go bankrupt," he joked. "It's 3 pieces for RM1.00".

I laughed. I had meant to ask whether I could mix and match any 3 pieces of fritters for RM1.00. I asked because the fritters were really substantial in size!!

I picked a prawn fritter, a banana fritter ... and was undecided. I saw that he had lots of freshly fried youtiao beside his wok ...

"How about the youtiao?" I asked.

"Youtiao too is 3 pieces for RM1.00," he replied.

So I decided to have that.

Only RM1.00!! 

Of the three, I think the prawn fritter is the tastiest as it is savoury. The youtiao was a tad tasteless at first ... but the more I chewed on it, the more addictive it was! The slice of banana wasn't ripe, though the crust coating it was crispy. So if it had been ripe, then the banana fritter would have been so yum. :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...