Sunday, January 19, 2014

Unlayered Cake

Lots of people would be baking now, in preparation for CNY which was just around the corner. I do not bake ... but joined in my colleagues to "learn" the other day. Lol.

We were supposed to learn to make a layered cake. We were supposed to pair up and bake our own cake, after we watched the demonstration by the teacher. Here's the recipe :
1) Whisk 400g butter with 75g of condensed milk till they appear white and creamy. Set aside.
2) Whisk 14 Grade A egg yolks with 6 whole eggs, 200g of Hong Kong flour, 200g of icing sugar, 1 tbsp of Ovalette and 60g of powdered milk.
3) Then mix 1 and 2 together.
4) Separate mixture into 3 portions and add different colours to them
5) Line the cake pan.
6) Preheat oven. Bake each layer at 250 degrees for 2 minutes.


The end product was supposed to turn out to be something like this ...


But then, the task proved to daunting and time consuming .... so instead of pairing up, the 4 of us grouped together to bake, not a layered cake, but an unlayered one. Lol.

My group members and I followed the exact steps, but then we cut down the amount of sugar we used, and we decided not do use colouring. Instead, we added in a sachet of instant coffee into a portion of the batter. Of course we had decided earlier on not to layer the cake. So we merely then poured it into a lined baking tin.


In another portion, we swirled some pandan essence into the batter and baked it ....

The cakes, cut and served 

Well, we quite liked the texture of the cake which was fluffy and soft, and very fragrant of eggs. My friends and I divided the cakes into 4 portions and brought them home.

That evening, I let AT try some. "You did not put sugar," he said.

Lol. Of course I did. It was just being reduced. But he said it was not bad.

My friends also feedback that their families and children loved the cakes .... so see, it was not necessary to put layers on the cake ... hehe

3 comments:

  1. Good effort. I learnt how to make layered cakes from a lady who opened a bakery supply shop. She is now in KL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We were fooling around, merely. The poor teacher had to cringe her teeth at our antics. Lol.

    Good that you know how to make layered cakes .... making them for the coming cny?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure. Have to use too many eggs and it's time consuming.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...