Sunday, February 28, 2016

So Where Were You At That Time?

I got up at 5.00 a.m. to find rain pouring incessantly. I got ready, had my breakfast, and was going to go to work at 7.40 a.m.; We were having a meeting at 8.30 a.m., and I thought I wanted to be there early.

At 7.15 a.m., my colleague, S called to tell me that she was caught in the floods. Her car stalled at Tabuan Road and wouldn't start, but assured me that help was on the way. She also told me to stay home, lest I be stuck like her. In my mind, I started to plan my route to get to work. I'd avoid Tabuan Road, I thought. I would get out from Chawan Road and head straight to Ellis Road before turning in to Central Road. 

Just a little while later, a few of my group chats became active. Friends were sharing about the road conditions, and a few more were caught in traffic jams all over town. Only then did I realise how serious the situation was.

But what should I do? I still had to get to work.I drove my car to the main road and found that the drains had overflowed and the road was being submerged in water. So I turned back. My little toy car wasn't fit to be driven in these conditions. I'd change car. I went home and drove out Dad's SUV, which was a higher vehicle. I headed out again .... and still I hesitated to navigate through the flood waters.

The main road as jammed .... people were hesitating to drive through the flooded road, and some turned back. I waited at the side of the road before returning home.

So again, I turned back and waited. Text messages came in as people shared the situation they were facing. I waited for the meeting to be postponed. But no such notice came. We were still expected to get to work.

It was already 9.00 a.m by that tme, and I decided to head out again. The water at the main road had subsided .... and I managed to get to Chawan Road but dared not drive through the knee-deep water. So I waited at the side of the road. 

The Sekama-Ellis-Mendu-Chawan intersection 

There were people who attempted to wade through the water to get the primary school nearby, but even they changed their mind and waded back. 

Cars turning back 

I waited for about 15 minutes before turning back as well. I decided to take an alternative route. I managed to exit to Mendu via Manggis, and head to Jalan Batu Lintang before turning into Bampfylde Road. I reached my work place at 9.45 a.m. to join the meeting. Phew!

I was actually driving in fear ... worried about untoward incidents like a careless accident or the car skidding or being stalled. It was sure a stressful drive! Another worry was whether my colleagues and I would be able to make our way back home after the meeting. Thankfully, the water had subsided by then .... and I took the same way home. I was just glad to stay home and stay safe for the rest of the day.

This was probably my first encounter with the flood! Meanwhile, keep warm with chicken soup, homecooked with no salt and msg, served with some vermicelli.

Yummy

Today, I used yellow wine ... and I kind of liked the result very much! Will definitely reprise.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the weather can be quite extreme these days in that it can rain cats and dogs and next it could be sunny and scorching hot.

    How is your rosemary growing by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hans, hope you've been keeping yourself in good health. Anyway, my rosemary died in December, but the basil is still thriving. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...