Monday, January 10, 2011

Eastwood Valley GCC Chinese Dinner

When I found out that dinner was going to be at Eastwood Valley Golf and Country Club, I cringed. Why? Well, we had 3 different functions there end of last year, and I was sick of the food which was massed produced and then served buffet style. Not again, I thought.

Nonetheless, this time, we had a sit-down dinner, and I was quite impressed. I don't know why. Perhaps it was the bright lighting in Meranti Hall, which made the food looked more appetising. Lol.

This was the menu.


And these were how the dishes looked like.

Unexpectedly, fruits was served first. Each one got a fruit cocktail. I loved the presentation.

This was the Hot and Cold Combination.

On the platter were pandan chicken, a deep-fried beancurd roll, a green shao mai in a creamy egg sauce, and baby octopus or chuka lidako served on a bed of cucumber strips. Among the four, I liked the baby octopus, and the deep-fried beancurd roll. Inside the roll were strips of chicken frankfurter and surimi stick. It's not great nor gourmet, but I just liked the combination of flavours.

The braised Assorted Seafood and Beancurd Soup was ordinary, in my opinion. Adding malt vinegar did not make it taste better.

Nor was the Yong Chow fried rice authentic, but the rice was nice to eat with the dishes that came along with it.

The best thing about the Steamed Eight Treasures Chicken was that it was served piping hot. The chicken was tender, and I liked the taste of herbs in the gravy. Yum to eat with the rice.

I liked the Deep-fried Fish in Mango Sauce too. The fish was fresh and crispy, the sauce spicy, sweet and tangy. Coat the fish in sauce, and then eat it with the chopped celery and julienned sour mango which garnished the dish. The explosion of flavours were exquisite.

By this time, I was too full to appreciate the Stir-fried Beef In Black Pepper Sauce. Lol.

I forgot to take a photo of the Stir Fried Mixed Vegetables with Bean Tendon. When I remembered, this was what was left of it. Lol. Anyway, there were brocolli, carrots, baby corn, assorted mushrooms, and bean tendon in the dish. I really liked the bean tendon as they were soft and chewy. Yum.

Well, I did enjoy myself that night, even though I did not look forward to it at first. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...