Friday, January 14, 2011

Mee Kolok @ School Canteen

We've had the same canteen operator at school for the third year already! For one thing, with this operator, we are assured of food to eat for breakfast and lunch every school day, though the menu isn't that creative.

Just to share with you, there was one year that we had a really unreasonable operator, who charged exorbitantly and sold stale food at times. That year, I had to wake up early daily to prepare food to bring to work. Either that or starve the whole day because I refused to eat the pathetic food at the canteen.

Anyway, the current operator has a fixed menu for breakfast. It's Mee Basah on Monday, Mee Kari on Tuesday, Mee Jawa on Wednesday, Mee Bandung on Thursday, and Laksa on Friday. It's fixed. Boring. We'd been telling them to change the menu for two years already. But it seems to be in vain.

So this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find a new addition to the menu, that is Mee Kolok. Needless to say, it was pork and lard free. Lol.


The cook used shallot oil to toss the noodles, and then, the garnishing included fish slices, minced chicken, some blanched beansprouts, fresh spring onions and deep-fried shallots. The noodles tasted alright, but many of us found it to be too dry. The noodles also came with a small bowl of clear broth and a blended tangy chilli sauce.

Well, I appreciate the canteen's effort to add variety to the menu. I hope they will continue to surprise me when I go for my breakfast daily.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh Mee Kolok is AWESOME POSSUM!

    Kind of miss Mee Kolok~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup ... I'd miss it too if I dun eat it for a long time ... ;))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...