Monday, January 24, 2011

Breakfast @ Yakin Food Court

One thing about going to Yakin Food Court on a Sunday morning is that you will tend to meet people whom you know. With all the friends and acquaintances that we bumped into, it seemed like half of Miri was there! Lol. It's an exaggeration, I know. But just humour me, k.

I had my Laksa but it now costs RM7.00. Expensive, huh? I'm not sure if it's worth eating anymore.

A popular stall here is the one selling you tiao or deep-fried crullers. When we placed our orders, we were warned that we had to wait 20 minutes.


Fresh from the wok, the you tiao was of course quite nice. It was crispy on the outside, and then chewy on the inside. I would prefer my you tiao to be slightly saltier, as it would definitely enhance the taste of the pastry.


Dip your you tiao into the rich and fragrant egg custard or kaya, and appreciate the sweet flavour of the custard and the savoury, chewy pastry.

This morning also I got to try 2 items from Stall no. 7.

The first dish was the Stir-fried Bai Guo 炒白粿, RM4.50.


This dish had black fungus, pork slices, prawns, and some greens stir-fried with bai guo and eggs. It was really moist and tasty, except that we found the bai guo too soft and starchy.

The other dish that I tried was the Ding Bian Hu, RM4.00.


Ding Bian Hu is made by ladling a thin layer of rice flour batter onto the side of a heated wok and subsequently scraping the cooked floury paste into a meat or seafood stock which would already be boiling in the wok.

Here at stall no. 7, the ingredients used in the Ding Bian Hu were fish balls, meat balls, black fungus, and dried daylilies 金針. The broth is rather clear and the whole dish taste refreshingly light.

Well, lots of other stuff to try here at Yakin Food Court, but guess people just have to bear with the huge breakfast crowd, especially on a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...