Thursday, January 13, 2011

Eating Sago Worms ...

Over breakfast yesterday, my colleague, M****** told me that he bought some 2kg of sago worms during the weekend. A discussion about the worms ensued and ended with me urging him to cook some for me. You see, I had never eaten them before, and I had always wondered what it would taste like. He promised in good sport. Lol.

Indeed today, he came with a Tupperware container of sago worms cooked in soy sauce, chillies and some sort of a leaf. At lunch, I was invited to sample them. I shrieked looking at those worms swimming in the dark coloured gravy. I felt a bit fearful, and at the same time, I was really curious.


After a while, I braved myself, picked up a fat but slightly deflated piece of worm and popped it into my mouth.

Well, it was chewy and juicy, and the head was crunchy. But if you ask me what it tastes like, I can only tell you that I am not certain. It did not have much taste, really, and I could only taste the soy sauce. I was a bit disappointed, maybe because I had expected it to taste rich and buttery.

M****** said he cooked it this way so that I would find it more acceptable to eat them. How thoughtful of him. In actual fact, he preferred to eat them raw or rather, alive. Yikes! Another colleague, L*** said that she liked the worms deep-fried or roasted. She said I had to eat them that way to really appreciate the taste and flavour.

Lol. I ate 2 pieces of worms today and they tasted just fine. I had this lingering thought in my head that I was eating worms. Hence, it just felt a bit icky. Lol. Well, I know after this that I would be brave enough to sample more of these wriggly creatures that many consider a delicacy.

2 comments:

  1. One thing worth considering is trying these deep fried. Similar concept to eating deep fried pork skin. They still retain some "squishiness" after deep frying however. When cooked in that form, it does taste "buttery". Your concept of "buttery" may differ from mine though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing ... can't wait to eat try them deep fried next :))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...