Saturday, January 2, 2010

Kolo Mee @ Tiong Hua Cafe & Restaurant

The address says :
Tiong Hua Cafe & Restaurant
No. 1302, Ground Floor, Jln Kwang Tung,
98000 Miri,
Sarawak

Now, looking at the address, many wouldn't know where this eatery is. However, if I tell you that it's behind Dynasty Hotel, it will give you some idea.

What compelled me to go there? Well, the story is like this. I came back from my holidays finding my favourite coffee shop, Seng Guan Cafe at Pelita Commercial Centre gone! I had so loved the kolo mee there. From hearsay, the ban mian moved to Pelita Hai Ma Food Centre. I have yet gone there to check it out. But where is the kolo mee? Does anybody know?

My friend and I had wanted to eat a good bowl of kolo mee. But with our regular haunt gone, we did not know where to go. So she suggested Tiong Hua Cafe & Restaurant behind Dynasty Hotel. The kolo mee stall is at the corner, and it dishes out bowls and bowls of noodles. Business is definitely good!

My friend ordered the kolo mee with char siew sauce or mee merah as she calls it.

Kolo mee with char siew sauce

While I ordered a regular bowl of kolo mee. So how did I find the noodles there? Hmn. First, it was a bit too soggy for me, like the noodles were blanched for too long. So, the noodles lacked the bouncy texture. Next, the noodles were not 香 enough. There was something missing and I can't quite make out what it was.

Regular kolo mee

Well, the noodles were alright, I suppose. But I still prefer the one at the former Seng Guan Cafe.

If anyone knows where the kolo mee stall has moved to, please give a buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...