Friday, January 8, 2016

Cold Pressed Juices

Cold pressed juices are a fad now, with cold juice bars shrooming all over the place. Die-hard fans speak of the nutritional and health benefits, with some people going on a juice diet or a juice cleanse.

But for now, I can't live on cold juices alone. They are more of a supplement to my regular diet, i.e. drink a juice here and day whenever I like or wherever it is available.

These juices aren't exactly wallet-friendly. A 320ml bottle easily cost more than RM10.00. That's a luxury in my books. But if I were to make my own juice at home, it would be very much cheaper.

Carrot, orange, pink guava (L) & Pineapple, orange, apple, lemon (R)

Recently,  my family has joined the juicing craze. We bought 2 slow juicers in 2 weeks. At first, Bro and sil bought one ... and then Dad decided to buy one for the family as well. These juicers don't come in cheap. No doubt there are many brands in the market, but even then, they cost at least RM2,000.

Slow juicers extract juices by crushing and pulping fruits, vegetables and even nuts. And there's an endless limit to the combination! So far, I've done bitter gourd, and cucumbers, and celery, and carrots, and lemons, and various types of oranges and apples, and guava, and pineapples, and kedondong, and even herbs like lemon basil. There are lots more fruits and vegetables which I would like to extract - like strawberry, kiwi, dragonfruit, beetroot, kale, spinach, ginger.

Sometimes, I bottle up the juices and keep them in the fridge - they last up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...