Thursday, January 1, 2015

Bye 2014, Hello 2015

2014 has gone by. 2014 has been quite significant for me with so many major events which had occurred .... Now, let's see .... What happened?

1) Met D at the start of the year and we became fast friends ...
2) Ended my 14 year stint in Miri and moved back to Kuching ...
3) Had a short, totally unexpected, whirlwind romance with AT which had since ended ...
4) Joining a gym and starting my workout
5) Got involved in a car accident and was car-less for 2 months ...
6) Got deaf in one ear for 2 weeks ...
7) Bought an apartment ... huh! and amassing a huge debt in the process .....
8) Returned to worship God in church after many years ... and looking forward to continue worshipping Him ...

In 2015, I hope to grow closer in my faith journey, to trust God in many areas in my life, to be more filial to my parents, to be more healthy, to be more sociable and make more friends ...

D said this morning that we would go to Choon Ann for breakfast. I'd been asking him for ages where Choon Ann was ..... and it turned out that the Choon Ann he meant was in fact, the legendary Chong Choon Cafe at Abell Road. Duh. Roll eyes. How could D even read wrong .....

Poh Lam Laksa for Breakfast, small bowl for RM5.00

This place is quite popular for its laksa; On New Year's day, it was really very packed. Lots of people were standing around, waiting for vacant tables. D and I did not have a place to sit as well; but instead of waiting, we decided to share a table with a group of tourist ladies from Indonesia ... 

I had the laksa which I found to be very delicious. The gravy was very well-balanced in flavour, the consistency was good and it was not too salty. There were 4 reasonably large and succulent prawns in the laksa, some shredded chicken and beansprouts too. The bowl was garnished with some coriander sprouts. Not bad .... but I would loved it even more had it been spicier. Lol. 

D had eaten, actually, with his uncle .... so he merely snacked on chwee kueh ..... he did reserve one for me to try .... 

Chwee Kueh
The cake was soft and the topping made up of dried radish and dried prawns were yum.

Oh, by the way, Poh Lam Laksa is closed on Tuesdays. 

Happy New Year 2015 to everyone!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and He will make your paths straight.
- Proverbs 3 : 5 - 6

6 comments:

  1. Feeling sorry for you and AT, and your getting involved in an accident and your hearing loss for two weeks.
    We have one similarity though. I also returned to church this year after a lapse of 17 years.
    All the best to you for this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I come to Kuching, I make a requisite stop at Chong Choon. But I always find the Laksa a tad too thin on the coconut milk. I also enjoy the yam cake, which you do not mention in this post. it is topped with Chai Poh, so dense and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks sintaicharles.

    As the year closes, actually, I have been feeling slightly depressed ... so do remember me in your prayers. As for AT and I, well, it is my prayer that we will remain as good friends. I've known him for more than a decade and would be very sorry to lose that friendship. AT also told me that he was suffering from a prolonged illness ... and I pray that he will recover in due time.

    It's my first time to Chong Choon today .... and I do wish to go back there some day, when it's not so crowded to try all the food that I did not get to try today. There were Mee Jawa and Kolo Mee and plenty of kueh which caught my eye as well ...

    What I liked about the laksa the most was actually the prawns which I found to be fresh and succulent. The gravy, though was relatively diluted, tasted alright to me. :))

    Happy New Year to you, sintaicharles. All the best too! And God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. both laksa and chwee kueh looks good and appetizing, Happy New Year to you and may you be blessed with abundance health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Nux V .... happy new year to you too, all the best!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...