Sunday, January 4, 2015

EG Mall, Kuching

Servay Hypermarket had just opened recently in Kuching, and is located at EG Mall. That's at King's Centre here. Today, after D's hair cut at his usual salon in the vicinity, we dropped by the hypermarket to have a look. Well ... there were 3 levels ..... and its set up kind of reminded me of the hypermarket in Miri. It sold medium to low end products, which I think would be more affordable for everyone.

I merely bought only a little bar of chocolate. But D bought some household items - floor mats and towels and light bulbs. And then for the amount that he spent, he received a free gift and a lucky draw entry. He could redeem either a cup or a dustbin .... so I wanted a dustbin. D indulged me and gave me the free dustbin. Yay. It was just what I needed.

I'd recently shifted to a vacant workstation the back of the staffroom in my school, where it was more private and I had more space, and I had wanted a dustbin near me. So well, the gift came in timely, and useful too!

As we exited the mall building, there's a food court right across the road .... and we had our lunch there. D had rice with roasted meats .... while I opted to have kueh chap.

Kueh Chap, RM5.00

The kueh chap tasted alright, I suppose .... the sheets of kueh were rather thin and smooth; the meat was lean as per requested, and there were braised intestines which did not smell, half an egg and tofu. The soup was clear and quite tasty.

As for EG Mall, I guess it would be alright to visit once in a while,

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes .. that kueh chap. I was only there last month & the stall operator said same as Lau Ya Keng kueh chap. I don't know but somehow it doesn't taste as good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonsey. I'm not much of an expert in kueh chap and I have yet tried the Lau Ya Keng version. That one's nicer to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lau Ya Keng kueh chap is one of the better ones in Kuching but my favourite though is the Bintawa kueh chap at Jln Keranji Tabuan Jaya. It's only open in the evening which is inconvenient for me since I like my kueh chap for breakfast. The Lau Ya Keng one is located near my workplace hence I'm a frequent patron there.
    The King Centre kueh chap broth is too diluted for my taste while the ingredients are fine. But to be fair I tried only once so maybe I shouldn't judge too harshly. Might give it another go if I'm in the vicinity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jonsey, I'm not really a kueh chap person, though I agree that a good kueh chap can be addictive. I've not tried the one at Lau Ya Keng because whenever I am there, I tend to eat the fishballs vermicelli noodles and the satay. Haha .... I really must try the other stuff there. And yes, I've heard of the infamous Bintawa Kueh Chap but have yet to try it as well. Evenings are also not really convenient a time for me. But .... I must make it a point to visit soon!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...