Sunday, May 16, 2010

Happy Teacher's Day

I woke up this morning at the break of dawn, disorientated, wondering if it was already Monday. Upon realising that it was Sunday, I snuggled contentedly into my blanket and went back to sleep.

I suppose not many people realise that today is teacher's day. Can't blame them. There's hardly any mention of this day in the media at all. It's no wonder that teachers feel unappreciated.

In conjunction with Teacher's Day, the school received a circular from the Ministry to organise a Gotong-Royong Perdana. Because of many complaints, this event became "voluntary". We had ours anyway, yesterday. Some of my colleagues scrubbed the tiles in the courtyard, others repaired canteen tables and benches, some re-potted the plants in the greenhouse, while I removed in little weeds in the flower beds flanking the courtyard.

Actually, if you ask me, the best way to celebrate teacher's day is to have a day of holiday. In Singapore, Teacher's Day is celebrated on 1 September, and it is an official school holiday. I'm sure all of my colleagues would welcome a day's rest away from the school, the students and the burdensome workload.

"Why is 16 May teachers' day inMalaysia?" R*** asked me over dinner the other day. Both of us pondered over it, and well, were left baffled. Lolx. As I did a little bit of research, I was enlightened to the fact that May was the month when recommendations in the Razak Report, the basis of educational reform in Malaysia, were received.

Anyway, I wish all of my colleagues in the teaching industry, a very blessed Teacher's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading. I'll definitely drop by your blog too. Cheers ;)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...