Saturday, May 1, 2010

Back to X Cuisine

Happy Labour Day. Me kinda fell sad that Labour Day should be on Saturday. And why is there no holiday on Monday in lieu? ;(

Anyway, this morning, S**** and I headed back to X Cuisine for brunch. Two days earlier, S**** had the fish slice porridge and she loved it so much that we had to go back there today. ;p

Bowl of Porridge

Thick fish slice

I had a taste of the porridge and understood why S*** raved about it all the time. The porridge itself was flavoured and was super tasty, while the fish slice was fresh and sweet. The next time I'm here, I'm bound to order porridge for sure! Fish slice porridge was RM4.00 a bowl.

Last time, I see a lot of people eating the stone bowl rice. So I had to try it today to put my mind and my curiosity and my taste buds at ease ;p. I could not decide which to order as you could have your rice in many types of sauces - teriyaki, egg, tomato, and white sauce. You could choose the type of meat you want too, be it chicken, pork, beef or seafood.

After pondering for a looong time, I decided to stick to the conventional, and ordered the Teriyaki chicken stone bowl.

Chicken TeriyakiHot Stone Bowl

Scoop the rice out from the bowl ...

Well, it was a huge bowl, enough to share between 2 or 3 persons. Ingredients used include shredded onions shredded bell pepper, shredded nori, thin slices of crispy fried chicken, and of course, an egg fried sunny side up. Unfortunately, I did not really like the rice and its flavourings, which I found to be a tad too sweet. My stone bowl rice was RM9.50. Prices, depending on the meats and sauces, start from RM8.00.

S**** and I decided to order the Deep-fried dumplings. There were 6 pieces per serving, served with a flavoured mayonnaise. The filling comprises well-seasoned minced pork and finely shredded black fungus, amongst which I could identify. I quite liked the dumplings. These were RM5.90 per serving.

Deep-fried Dumplings

Another item S**** raved about was the chicken wings in shrimp paste. She said it was like a combination of chicken and keropok (shrimp crackers). Lolx. Anyway, the crust which coated the chicken wings was crispy and had the distinct flavour of shrimps. I liked it, but definitely was not crazy about it. The chicken wings were RM2.40 per piece.

Chicken wings in shrimp paste

Well, here ends today's culinary adventure in a sleepy little town called Miri. ;)

1 comment:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...