Thursday, October 9, 2014

Laksa & Satay @ Lau Ya Keng

I was looking for a kaki ... lol .... or buddies to hang out or lepak with. These were my options.
  1. Plan A - look for D. 
  2. Plan B - look for CM and S. 
  3. Plan C - look for CC.
  4. Plan D - stay at home and rot. 
So D and I negotiated on where to go ..... and he agreed to bring me to Plaza Merdeka. We were supposed to shop for a telco service provider which would provide me with a more reliable network (than my existing one) and at a more reasonable price. There were only 2 telcos there at Plaza Merdeka as we found out ..... but at least we could make the necessary enquiries. In the end, I opted to switch. It was a breeze - just a matter of filling up a couple of forms and I was good to go with a new sim.

After some shopping, it was time to have lunch. D wanted to go to the food court - the newly re-branded Food Heaven.  I was aghast. I did not like the food court despite its revamp. Convenient, sure. But I did not like the food there. "I don't want to eat here," I sulked.

Glad that D indulged me and, we headed elsewhere. D suggested we go to Lau Ya Keng or the Carpenter Street Temple nearby to have lunch. Oh yes! Anywhere but the food court!

At Lau Ya Keng .... I met S (my plan B, lol) .... and D happened to meet his colleague and client .... hmn .... This is a popular place, D surmised. Indeed. For it was packed with locals and tourists alike. A tourist couple even had to share our table. We found out that they were from Switzerland, and here in Kuching for the first time.

Today, D had the fishball vermicelli while I tried the laksa.

 Sarawak laksa, RM6.00

Not the best laksa I had eaten in town, but it was alright. It had all the right ingredients - the vermicelli, beansprouts, egg shreds, chicken and prawns. But the laksa also had chicken offal .... which was kinda eew to me. This was something extra, something uncommonly found in laksa anywhere else. The all-important gravy, was on the diluted side, but tastewise, it was alright. Not the kind of laksa I would come back for. 

I also ordered satay .... which D had said he had never eaten before. How could he had never eaten the best pork satay in Kuching ? (Gosh! Kuchingite? Seriously? Roll eyes)


Delicious pork satay, RM0.60 per skewer

Wow ... these were moist and juicy and tender, and so full of flavour. Yums. D liked them too. :))


4 comments:

  1. I like both satay & laksa...but I never try out pork satay before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh .... pork satay is delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had d laksa bt not really my favourite.. Pork satay is yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, agree. Pork satay is a must eat!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...