Monday, August 21, 2017

Birthday Present

For my 42nd birthday, I got a cyst. In my womb.


Doc said it probably started in June as that was the last I had my regular period. My menses got haywire in July and in August, and since I started menstruating on 8 August, it hadn't stopped bleeding. Doc and I went through my period log (so glad that I have a habit of keeping a record since the invention of such period tracker apps!), and then he scanned me .... and announced that I have a cyst in my right womb - a bit less than 5 x 4 cm.

He said it was of normal size, and it did not require any surgery as of yet - as I did not experience any pain or abnormalities apart from my prolonged menstrual bleeding. He said we were to monitor it and advised a scan after 3 months. I asked Doc what was the cause of the cyst. Doc said no one knew. But depending on one's body, the cyst could shrink or burst.

As for my menses, I could either let it be or I could stop it by taking birth control pills. I chose to have it stopped. Birth control pills could also help to regulate my hormones.

I like Doc. He was very professional. He attended to all my questions. He used the pronoun "we" - it made me feel like I was well looked after. No wonder he was a very popular gynaecologist in town. No wonder his patients lined up every day.

Today, I had walked in without an appointment. I waited for 3 hours just to have a consultation with him. The waiting time was excruciating. But the consultation went off well. And I felt that the waiting time was justified. He was a good doctor.

I'd scheduled my next appointment on 28 November. I hope my cyst will just disappear on its own .....

3 comments:

  1. wise choice to stop the menses, otherwise u will keep on bleeding till low blood. I have a colleague who has this terrible menses and she went for surgery last month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care! Pray for your recovery & for the cyst to be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls. I'm much comforted that this is a cyst is a common occurrence. I'm trying to picture it as a blister that is inside the body ... heh. Life goes on as usual .... except that I'm feeling exhausted this week. Looking forward to a break from work. :))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...