Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Gift of Homemade Shaomai

First, Mom was not expecting me home that day. Hence, she did not prepare dinner. Plus, a close relative was admitted to the hospital. All at home were worried about her condition. So, Mom was too disorientated to cook that night.

It was alright, though, cause at home, there was plenty to eat! Durians, for one, kept me full. Then, my neighbour R  sent over these shaomai dumplings. She had made them from scratch.

Fresh homemade shaomai dumplings

Freshly steamed, these dumplings were very delicious to eat. Each were compactly filled with a mixture of pork, Spanish mackerel fish paste, and diced water chestnuts. Some chopped Chinese celery decorated each dumpling. I quite liked these savoury dumplings, especially when dipped in a spicy, sweet and tangy chilli sauce.

Back home, there is always plenty to eat ... cause the elders really enjoy cooking. And they always make it sound so simple ... but I know a lot of effort goes into each dish that they prepare. The same goes for these dumplings. R had spent the whole afternoon making them ..... and then generously gave us some. Bless her kindness and generosity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...