Sunday, October 20, 2013

Walnuts In Shell

"What are those?" I asked Mom, pointing to some round hard things on the table.

"Walnuts," she replied. Apparently, her cousin had gone for a holiday to Turkey and had brought back walnuts in shell as gifts.

I had certainly not seen walnuts in shells before this. Not the real thing. I'd seen pictures, of course.

Walnuts in shell

I took a pestle and lightly knocked on the shell. Then I pried it open to reveal crinkly walnuts inside! They somewhat reminded me of the human brain. I took one seed out and popped it into my mouth.

Inside the shells 

Fresh and crunchy no doubt, but ... 

"Bitter!" I squealed. After which, I put all the others aside in an air tight container. Eew. I wasn't going to eat them at all.

2 comments:

  1. As we head towards Christmas walnuts will be in all the shops in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Maybe we'll get some at major supermarkets here too. *Hopeful*

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...