Friday, October 4, 2013

The Ice Kacang Shop Behind The Petronas Station

This shop does not open for business daily. It can close for ages .... and then resume business as usual. So, whenever we are around the area, we will keep a lookout for the shop. If it is opened, then we will drop by for a drink.

Hmn ... I don't know what's the name of the shop. I suppose it has a name, but people call it "the-ice-kacang-shop-behind-the-petronas-station-at-jalan-bintang". Everyone seems to know the corner shoplot which is painted in green. It is quite well-known for its ice kacang or shaved ice, fritters, rojak and sotong kangkong.

So my friend and I dropped by and ordered 2 bowls of ice kacang. She ordered an ABC ... and it had a mixture all the ingredients such as sago, grass jelly, cendol, corn kernels, and red beans. The ingredients were hidden under a large ball of ice, and flavoured generously with coconut milk and palm sugar syrup.

On the other hand, I ordered my ice kacang with corn kernels and red beans. Again, the ingredients were topped with ice and doused with evaporated milk and palm sugar.

My bowl of ice kacang, RM3.00
On this particular day, I found my ice kacang to be generously laden with corn and red beans. I loved the crunchy texture of the corn that contrasted with smooth texture of the red beans. I could tell that good quality red beans were used ... and I just loved their rich and creamy taste in my mouth. The ice kacang was not too sweet, yet tasted richly of evaporated milk. I loved it!! 

Fritters, RM5.00
Hmn .... it looked a bit dismal. But the fritters were absolutely delicious. They were really crunchy ... and tasted wonderful with the sauce and chilli. On the plate were sweet potato cubes, yam cubes, tofu, and prawn fritters. My favourite would be the tasty prawn fitters, sweet potato and yam. A RM5.00 portion was hardly enough to satisfy us, though. 

Sotong Kangkong, RM8.00
I would prefer the sauce to be less sweet .... but the cuttlefish and water convolvulus or kangkong was nicely blanched and not overcooked.

There is also rojak sold here ..... but we did not have it on that day. Some other time, perhaps, when the shop is opened for business. A great place to stop for a cold drink and some snacks on a hot day. No wonder there are so many people here! Must try, highly recommended! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...