Friday, October 18, 2013

Braised Pork With Mei Cai

Second Aunt loved to cook Braised Pork with Mei Cai (梅菜). She herself loved this dish, which was absolutely appetising with white rice. Since she knew I loved it too, Second Aunt gave me a large bowl, filled with generous chunks of pork belly and pieces of Mei Cai.

Second Aunt's Braised Pork With Mei Cai

Mei Cai or Mei Gan Cai (梅干菜) is essentially preserved mustard greens. The fresh vegetables are sun-dried, salted, fermented, steamed and then dried once more. The preserved vegetable has an intense flavour - salty, earthy and pungent.

Mei Cai pairs very well with pork. The unique flavours of the Mei Cai infuses the pork when braised together for a long time. I liked the dish to be sweet and salty, the meat soft and the vegetables crunchy. And Second Aunt cooks it right every time. :P

One of these days, I had better asked her for the recipe! 

4 comments:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...