Thursday, February 14, 2013

Aunties' Specialties

On the first day of CNY, Second Aunt made my favourite steamed yam cake. It was a really delicious treat!

Steamed Yam Cake 

Read about Second Aunt's Steamed Yam Cake here. Besides the Yam Cake, Aunt had also made a platter of Stir-fried carrot cake. Yummm .... the cake was fried with egg and was browned and crispy. It was really delicious when dipped with my maternal grandma's traditional sweet soy sauce!


On the second day of CNY, I visited my Third Aunt .... and she served these savoury cakes. I had a piece, and was quite fascinated with the texture and flavours. It was soft and yet chewy, and the combination of meat and onions and spices made it really tasty.

What is it called?

"Pudding," she answered. Eventually, we found out that it consisted of luncheon meat layered in between cream crackers.

Savoury Pudding

I thought it was interesting .... and I thought it was easy to make .... and maybe I'd just try to make it one fine day!

Third Aunt's pride is also her orchid garden ...



Pretty, right? I love them beautiful flowers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...