Saturday, February 2, 2013

Dried Ham Meats

Expensive at RM88.00 per kilo. But I had a craving for these Barbecued Dried Meats or Bakkwa, and bought some from the Oloiya outlet at Pavillion. I bought only 5 flat slices, and they cost me RM18.13.

Oloiya is a local KL brand. Its business started at Petaling Street in the 1970's. It has since then carved a name for itself in the Bakkwa industry, and now there are many branches and outlets all over malls in KL, and also in many major cities in Malaysia. There's even an outlet in Miri.

The yellow & red packaging is synonymous with the Oloiya brand  

 
Bakkwa

Oloiya's bakkwa are on the savoury side .... and I prefer them to be a little bit sweeter. The meats were not too hard so that was good. 

Some people like to cut the bakkwa into bite-sized pieces. I don't enjoy those. I like to bite off the meat from the huge sheet ;p. Not sure why ... but I just felt that there was more texture if eaten that way. 

With Chinese New Year just around the corner ... households are busy stocking up on these Bakkwa ... there are many brands in the market .... and my favourite is Bee Cheng Hiang. Can't wait to stuff myself with Bakkwa during Chinese New Year! 

3 comments:

  1. This we do crave for. Never seen it for sale in the UK (not even in London's china town. Lim Chee Guan is the one I am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Philip, looks like you need to make a trip here to stock up on the Bakkwa. I've heard about Lim Chee Guan but have never tried it. Not sure if I can get them here in Malaysia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lim Chee Guan is from Singapore. We hope to visit Miri later this year and I will look out for Bakkwa as well as other culinary delights!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...