Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bats

I squinted my eye and focused on the distinctive shape of their flapping wings. Bats!! Circling above me as I stood at the school courtyard at 6.20 a.m. this morning.



Immediately, I took out my camera and started to take photographs. I had to capture this unbelievable moment. In my decade here in the school, this is the first time I'd seen bats hovering above me.

Well, when I went to Mulu, visitors from near and far waited and waited to watch bats stream out of the Deer Cave. It was no certain that they would appear, because if the weather was not good, they would certainly be no show. I remembered that we waited for so long that day at the observatory in Mulu.

But then this morning, bats had appeared unexpectantly, drawing a lot of interest from the whole lot of us. It was really an awe-inspiring sight.

When he saw the bats, my colleague believed it to be a good sign. For him, in fact, there might be a windfall soon. Me? I'm not superstitious or anything, and I don't know what to make of it. But, I am hopeful that it brings good luck. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...