Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 6 : Queenstown

That morning's breakfast was of bread, muesli, and fruits. As usual, we packed some food for lunch, and then set off for another exciting day at Queenstown.

As we came out from our hostel, we were attracted by the flea market nearby. Vendors set up stall and sold jewellery, crafts, and soaps. The soaps looked delectable, as they were shaped like cakes and other desserts.

It was drizzling that morning as we started our drive to Glenorchy. Glenorchy was where many sequences in LOTR were filmed. Its name means "Paradise". It is 45 km away from Queenstown by a lakeside drive. Hence the drive there was really scenic.

Enjoying view along the journey ....

We could see mountains already capped with snow, even so early in the winter.

See the majestic snow-capped mountains in the distant It was really very cold at that time

Glenorchy used to be a schleete mining town but is now famous for eco-tourism. We had wanted to go for short nature walks at Glenorchy, but it was really too wet and too cold for us to even pretend to be adventurous. Lol.

Bungy jumping. Dare you do it? Or rather, have you done it? Well, bungy jumping originated in Vanuatu but was developed in New Zealand. And Queenstown is the home of the original Bungy Jump.

Hence, after Glenorchy, we drove to the A.J. Hackett Kawarau River Bungy. It was my third time there, but still I had not gathered the guts to jump. ;p


The bungy platform in the middle of Kawarau Suspension Bridge
It is the world's first bungy bridge
I love the azure blue of the water in the Kawarau River LOTR Sindarin Pillars of the Kings were superimposed into each side of the river


Well, we managed to witness 9 thrilling jumps that afternoon. Wow. I really admire those who have the gumption to dive from up so high. My friends said it would a life-changing experience. Easier said than done, I suppose. None of us even wanted to think about going for it. Each jump was NZD180.00. Not cheap, ya?

After watching the jumps, it was time to have lunch. And lunch was dry-tossed instant noodles with stir-fried cabbage, fresh tomatoes and sausages.

... Yum lunch ...

Watching the jumps must have made me feel hungry because I finished everything!! Everything was yum except the sausages which were very salty.

I even had ice-cream for dessert!! I love Tip Top ice-cream. So how can I resist having one despite the cold??

Tip Top Ice-cream

Frightening amounts of big cookie chunks rammed into creamy cookie ice-cream, groaning under a thick layer of cookie encrusted milk chocolate ... I thought I died and went to heaven ...

After lunch, we walked around town. It is really a beautiful little town

A statue to commemorate William Gilbert Rees - the founder of Queenstown

An artistic structure that caught my eye ....

A quaint little church ...

we went to browse at the shops in town. Queenstown was relatively big compared to Tekapo and Wanaka. The town bustled with activities, with shops, eateries and pubs opened till late in the night.

I revisited some of my favourite shops from my student days - Glassons is one of my favourites. I used to buy lots of clothes from there. I had intended to buy a good winter jacket, so I got a piece from Kathmandu, a brand unique to Australia and New Zealand. I got myself a mid-weight fleece jacket, the Altica 200 Dolores.

I also went to my favourite cookie shop : Cookie Time. To buy my favourite cookie, of course.

Cookie Time Outlet
18, Camp Street


Will blog about my favourite cookie later on. Anyway, for dinner, we had a Subway each.

Roasted beef, lettuce shreds, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and onions
in honey mustard and sweet Thai chilli sauce, packed in a roasted in a 6 inches roasted garlic bread
@
NZD4.90


We only retired to our hostel after dinner. I had a great time that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...