Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Stupidity, The Alchemist & Arabic Food

My Stupidity. The Alchemist. Arabic Food. Seemingly, there's no connection, right? Well, this is how the story goes ....

I don't know why I kept thinking that my flight was 11.15 a.m. when it was stated clearly in my notes that it was 1.15 p.m. As a result, I got to KLIA at 10.15 a.m. I did not even realise my mistake until I caught sight of my mobile boarding pass. It stated there "Boarding Time 12.45". At once, I cursed by stupidity!!

What was I going to do for 3 hours? I tried to linger at Duty Free, but there was nothing that caught my eye. Perhaps because I was not planning on buying anything. Then, at the Flying Emporium, where books and magazines were sold, I picked up a copy of The Alchemist by Paulo Cuelho.

This book had been in my reading list for a long time. I had been meaning to read it, but somehow I just never got my hands on a copy. I read the first few pages, and decided that I could read it and so I bought it.

Well, it is an easy read, ab0ut a shepherd boy named Santiago. Readers follow Santiago as he searches for his treasure. It is a tale about seeking one's dreams and aspirations. If one really wants something, all the universe conspires in helping him or her to achieve it.

I loved the many layers of of meaning that are interwoven in the book, that makes this simple story a very complex, yet meaningful one. Thankfully, reading the book helped to pass time quickly. And thankfully, the flight was on time.

I thought this flight was more enjoyable than the many flights that I've flown on MAS. Perhaps the flight attendants were extra hospitable. I could feel their sincerity as soon as I walked into the plane and when announcements were made.

Indeed, as soon as we were on air, pre-meal drinks were served. I thought pre-meal drinks were a thing of the past, when inflight services were first-rated.

Then, the food cart was rolled out and we were offered an Arabic fare for lunch. I opted for chicken kebab instead of beef stew.

This is one of the more elaborate meals that I have been served.
Compare with this.


Chicken Kebab with Steamed Rice

I do like the chicken kebab, as it was not too heavily spiced. I have no idea what was the sauce that coated the meat, though. It could have been cheese or something, but anyway, it did go well with the chicken. Besides the mains, there in the meal box was a piece of cake. It did not look appetising, but in fact it did tasted good. It was soft, and rather rich and moist. There was also a Cadbury Gold chocolate.

After lunch, we were each given a Magnum Mini. That made me really happy. Meanwhile, the flight attendants continued to ply the passengers with drinks - tea or coffee, juice, water of soft drinks. They were so hospitable that before we even realised it, we were going to land. Awesome, I wish every flight would be like this. My heartfelt thanks to the crew members, led by the leading steward, Raju (I think that's his name ;p).

Well, it was a wonderful closure for my holiday, I would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...