Sunday, November 8, 2009

Kueh Chap For Breakfast

I am not particularly a great fan of it. But basically, Kueh Chap consists of flat angular pieces of rice cake, doused in braised pork gravy. It is usually served with slices of pork, intestines, tongue, stomach, ears and God-knows-which-other-part-of-the-pig.

In Miri, when people talk about eating Kueh Chap, the legendary stall at the Wisma Hopoh Canteen is always mentioned.

This morning, my friend and I went there for breakfast. Typically on Sunday morning, there are lots of people there.

The canteen is shabby. The tables are so crowded to each other that it is difficult to navigate your way around. Obviously, people do not mind the slight inconvenience, judging by the look of the packed place. There are hardly any empty tables around. As soon as patrons leave a table, it is quickly snapped up by arriving ones.

Today, my friend and I found ourselves seated in between the Kueh Chap stall and the curry rice stall. Phew. It was really warm, as I could feel the steam from the cooking stoves at both sides.

Whenever you place an order at the Kueh Chap stall, you will be warned. "You have to wait," said the vendor lady, or one of her sons, depending on whom you place your order with. Indeed, business is brisk, and the many people who work at the stall can hardly cope with the unending stream of customers.

"Okay," I said, fully prepared to wait.

Today, I think I waited for about 10 minutes before my saucer of chilli sauce arrived, together with the spoon and chopsticks.

Chilli Sauce

About 10 minutes later, my orders arrived. I ordered a my Kueh Chap with no innards. I can't stomach the internal organs, though some people claim that those are essential ingredients in a good bowl of kueh chap.

Kueh Chap with no spare parts

And so, my Kueh Chap had slivers of lean meat, tofu pok, and slices of braised hard-boiled eggs in it.

On the other hand, my friend ordered Kueh Chap with only innards. Lol. So, hers were devoid of any meat, tofu or egg.

Kueh Chap with only spare parts

Well, the Kueh Chap tastes great as usual. Not too sweet. Not too salty. The broth is clear. Not too thick. Not too diluted.

What I like about this stall is that the orders always come correct, even though they have to put up with so many orders.

Anyway, if you like Kueh Chap, this stall at the Wisma Hopoh Canteen is really worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...