Thursday, November 12, 2009

HRH Queen Of Fruits

If durian is the King of Fruits, then mangosteen is the Queen of Fruits. It is purported to have cooling properties, as opposed to the very "heaty" durian.

I seldom eat this fruit. Why? I am scared that it will kill me. Lol.

When I was very young, Mom told me that if I consumed any sugary food after I ate a mangosteen, I would die. How many of you out there has heard of this too? Is it really true?

Hell, I don't know. I DARE not try to eat anything sweet after the very few occasions that I eat mangosteens.

Logically, it should only be a myth. Probably some old wives' tale meant to scare children and to prevent them from eating too much sweets. Whatever it is, since I'd learned of this untruth, it has been stuck at the back of my mind. Sigh.

Actually, I do like the taste of mangosteen. The pulp is sweet and tangy with a distinctively refreshing taste. Unfortunately, everytime I eat mangosteen, there is this fear that lingers. I know, it's really silly. But it's REAL.

Today, the school canteen supervisor had a bag of local fruits on her table. It held some homegrown langsat and some mangosteens. When I was there at the canteen this morning, she offered us some of the fruits.

Happily, I picked up 3 pieces of mangosteens and thanked her profusely.


A piece of mangosteen in a pretty shade of purple.

To crack open the mangosteen, place the fruit in between your palms and lightly squeeze.


Inside the hard shell is a soft cushion of pith in a very beautiful shade of magenta. The flesh is white, soft and juicy, sweet and sourish. Yum.

I do like this fruit a lot. But how do I dispel this fear?

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I've the same fear as you
    guess what? My husband bought some mangosteen back today and I refuse to eat it.. because I have the phobia of after eating it i cannot have any other sweet stuff... He said I'm crazy... So I went online trying to find out more about mangosteen and and stumble into your blog.

    Nice read here...
    Btw, I'm in Miri. (^_^)
    I'm a part time mirian for now... (coz husband work here.i come over to visit )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Glad to know some ppl share the same phobia as I do.

    Welcome to Miri - our small laidback city ;))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...