Friday, October 9, 2009

HRH King Durian

Rich and creamy. Sweet and heavenly. Butter. Custard. Caramel.

How would you describe the taste of durians? Andrew Zimmern considered it a "bizarre" food and commented that durians tasted like rotten mushy onions. No offense, but I strongly disagree with his opinion. To me, durians are simply delicious - like eating soft, melt-in-your mouth, smooth, sweetened cream. Divine!!!

Nevertheless, I do respect the fact that not everyone loves durian. The smell is indeed overpowering. If you ferry some durians in the car, the smell can linger for days! Hence, comes lots of old wives' tales that suggest ways to rid durian smell from enclosed places. I'd heard of folks saying that I could put some screwpine leaves or a piece of charcoal in my car to absorb the pungent odour. I have yet to try those ingenious ideas, though.

Today, I bought some durians from my colleague, I***. The durians were from his family orchard at the outskirts of Miri. His durians are really good.

Thorny balls

Last season, I drove my friends to I***'s orchard to buy the durians. One of my friends was from KL, and she insisted that we go see the tree. And so walked a short distance into the orchard to see durian trees! Lol.

Not willing to drive so far out of town, my colleagues usually place their orders for the durians a day before. Then, I*** will deliver the fruits the next day. I did not place any orders today, but as I was going home, I saw some teachers collecting their durians from his car. So, I jokingly asked if I could have some too.

And true enough, he had 2 pieces reserved! My boss, who also did not place any orders wanted to buy some too, but I*** was gracious enough to let me have the durians first. Sweet of him, eh?

Best of all, he took the trouble to open the durians for me as I could never manage to open them by myself.

. . . Yum . . .

And so, it's durian, the King of fruits for lunch today! I could not possibly finish off 2 whole durians by myself. So, there are still plenty sitting in the fridge, waiting for anyone who's not intimidated by its smell and taste to eat them!

Are you tempted? ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...