Saturday, October 24, 2009

Lunch@ Banana Leaf Rice Restaurant & Cafe

My colleague recommended me the food at Banana Leaf Rice Restaurant & Cafe at Centrepoint, Miri a few weeks ago. I'm not very familiar with Indian food at all. However, I was keen to try a meal there.

Yesterday, my colleagues and I headed to the restaurant after the rehearsal for our convocation. The menu was quite informative. I had not known that banana leaves has properties that helps with digestion.

Information on the menu


All of us ordered the Briyani rice set.

First, came the banana leaf and the eating utensils.

Banana leaf and utensils

The waiter then came around with a rice basket. Each person is served three scoops of rice. Another waiter came around with metal containers, in which 4 types of vegetables were served from.

Waiters serving rice & assortment of vegetables

Then another person came around with the gravy container. Customers have got 3 types of gravy to choose from - chicken, fish or dhal.

Ladling the gravy for the rice

This is what my banana leaf looks like, filled with rice and vegetables, and drenched with gravy.

Briyani rice set

Finally, a piece of papadum is placed on top.

A completed Briyani rice set

We also ordered a serving of mutton curry to go with our briyani. The serving was generous and the meat was tender.

A serving of mutton curry

Well, I enjoyed the meal tremendously. It was something different from my usual fare. Of course I'd eaten Briyani rice before, but I had never eaten it with so many different types of vegetables.

There was cabbage, spinach, bitter gourd and long beans.

Cabbage

Spinach

Bitter gourd

Long beans

I ordered a glass of lassi with my meal. I think I made the wrong choice as it is quite thick and milky, and it made me really bloated when taken with my briyani.

Lassi

My colleague mentioned that it is customary for people to fold over their banana leaf when they had finished eating. We are supposed to fold the leaf towards us if we are happy with the meal. If we are not happy with it, we are supposed to fold it away from you.

My serving wiped clean ;p, and folded inwards ;)

Well, I enjoyed my lunch a lot. I felt the the use of spices was just right in all the dishes, and not too overpowering. I look forward to go back to the restaurant for another meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...