Saturday, October 3, 2009

Happy Mooncake Festival 2009

These days, mooncake fillings are really fancy. This one from Tai Thong costs RM12.00 and is called Jade Delights with Coconut Silk. It is a new flavour developed by Tai Thong for 2009. Innovative, eh?

Tai Thong's mooncake

Jade Delights with Coconut Silk is a grated coconut centre surrounded by pandan lotus

Last night, I braved the strong wind and torrential rain to be at my friend's. And my reward was mooncakes made in Hong Kong. My friend had just returned from a vacation there, that's why.

The one I had was Lotus Paste Egg Yolk.

Nicely wrapped, airflown all the way from Hong Kong

Unwrapped, looks no different from what I've usually seen around here

One whole egg yolk, and another smaller piece of yolk embedded within.
Sorry, the smaller piece of yolk is on the other half ... Lol

Just last week, Fifth Aunt related an incident whereby a particular relative did not bother to buy and bring Malaysian mooncakes over to Australia. Why? Because they could buy Hong Kong-made ones over there, which were much nicer. Fifth Aunt used a really strong word that caught my attention. She said that her relative looked down on Malaysian mooncakes. Huh? Really?

Fifth Aunt said she herself did not believe it, until she had the opportunity to try a Hong Kong-made mooncake herself, and agreed hands down, that they were much yummier. And so, I began to wonder how much more delicious Hong Kong-made mooncakes were, compared to Malaysian-made ones.

Well, the verdict? Hmn. The lotus paste was lighter in colour. The texture was smoother. The taste of the lotus paste was richer, attributed to the purer paste used. The lotus paste was so pure that it has this melt in your mouth quality. Was it yummy? Well, yes, it was. That, and a cup of hot green tea, and some chit chat.

I must admit that I'm not really a fan of mooncake, and I do not really appreciate mooncakes. But, I'm still glad I got to try a mooncake from Hong Kong, which other people claim to be yummilicious.

Happy Mooncake Festival, you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...