Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thian Ho @ Pujut Corner

I pass by Thian Ho on my way home every day. It is located at Pujut Corner here in Miri, just by the roadside. It is a residence cum hawker stall. There isn't any proper parking, so patrons park along the roadside. This stall operates from 5.30 p.m. onwards till late at night. And, it is packed with people all the time. You can tell just how good business is here, by looking at the number of vehicles that line the road.

Tonight, my friend and I decided to head over there for dinner. We thought we'd go early to avoid the crowd. Why? Because from past experiences, the service is slow. You have to wait quite long for your orders. Mainly because there are many takeaways, and then there is only 1 cook.

Anyway, we ordered a wanton soup tonight. The wanton was typical, with its meagre filling. The soup was a bit bland for my taste.

Wanton soup

A piece of wanton

My friend, who found the seasoned cut chillies tasty, poured at least a spoonful of vinegar into the soup to make it tastier.

Seasoned cut chillies

At Thian Ho, there is an entire jar of pickled chillies in the condiments basket, and you are free to take as much as you like.

The Tomato Fried Kueh Tiaw that I ordered came with fresh prawns, cuttlefish slices, chicken breast meat and mustard greens. Unfortunately, I did not like the dish as I thought the gravy was a tad too sweet. I like my tomato gravy to the slightly tangy.

Tomato Fried Kueh Tiaw

Consequently, I poured a saucer full of seasoned cut chillies into my plate of kueh tiaw, and even then the dish did not suit my palate. And so, dinner left me unsatisfied.

Actually, I really liked the Stir-fried mee suah at Thian Ho. It's a real pity that they no longer sell this item. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...